Big move coming for Herk

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

OK the big move for the Herk the turtle that my nephew gave us is coming up and I really want to do this right. He is 3 inches long and approx. 2 inches wide. He is going to go into a 55 gallon tank with a basking beach. He is coming from a 20 gallon tank with about 5-6 inches of water and we are going to slowly increase the depth. We are using reverse osmosis water because our water is so hard and because of the chemicals that are in it. Need depth increased because it is difficult to feed anacharis. Currently using a variable power filter that can filter up to 75 gph and going to bigger power filter. Going to add either submersible heater or filter heater. Is filter heater even worth considering? Have both UVA/B lamp and all spectrum UVA heat lamp. Water is currently staying 78-81 deg F and basking area is 82-87 deg F. River rock base in habitat. Turt likes to get on rock in corner and watch what is going on with head out of water or “hangâ€Â
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

wow.seems like a nice environment for a turtle to me.congrats to u and the turtle that gets that home
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds OK. About the filter heater (an Eheim?)--don`t know anyone who uses one. Although having one would save space, if either the heater part or the filter breaks you`d have to replace both all over again.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

The Tetratec power filter has a heater element and that is what I was looking at if it is big enough.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`m sorry, I don`t know anything about that make. As a guide, though, you should get a filter that`s rated for 2-3 times the amount of water in the tank. A fairly complete filtration guide can be found at http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Articl ... ration.htm
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

When I said amount of water in the tank, if, for example you have a 50 gallon tank, you need a filter that`s rated for at least 200 gph, and 300 is recommended.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, I`m still half asleep--I meant 100gph and 150 gph.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Was reading about the ones at austin and comparing several different ones. I have some time because I will be doing this in about a week. I want to get the new tank set up and ready before I do the change and not do a rush job. That is why I am doing my research. Spend it now and do it right. Had not heard of Eheim but after doing the research they look good. Just trying to make supplies easy to obtain. Have a couple of shops here and one herp specialty shop so will check them too. Thanks for the suggestion.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Many people swear by Eheims. It`s the filter I want when I make the next upgrade. (But just to make it confusing, people also really like Filstar XP3`s, Fluvals, Aquaclears, Magnums, etc....)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you buy on-line, check places like www.bigalsonline.com and http://drsfostersmith.com as well
  • Information