How big?

Discussions about turtles.

I\'ve have been thinking about getting a water turtle. What is their average size and what do they usually eat? Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

really depends on what type of aquatic turtle you want

The Red-Eared Slider

turtles take a lot of time and care to be healthy, i have to say that first. make sure if you are buying one that your turtle is healthy, and how to take care of it. i\'ve spent around $500 dollars on my turtle over the past week because it is sick. consider situations like that.
also, keep in mind that water turtles often smell if you do not clean their tank at least twice a week, which can get very tiring.
they can also get decently big, around 7-8 inches. make sure you do your research and ask a lot of questions when buying your turtle.
pictafan
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with veds. We discovered that costs for caring for the water turtle could really add up. We are already in the $300 range on vet bills in the first year alone. Pnuemonia within 2 weeks of getting home from the store. Then later in the year another problem. And now it looks like another vet visit is on the horizon for something else. If I\'d known this, I wouldn\'t have done it.

They also have a potential 20-30 year life span.
  • Information