Eye problems

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
turn_two

One of my baby turtles has an eye problem. I have no idea what to do. It is kind of like it is swollen
deesygirl

Eye problems can be caused from many things. Can you tell us about your setup and diet?
turn_two

It is pretty much just a glass tank with a submersable heater. No rocks nothing. The turtles do have an area to get out of the water. I recently moved and have put a lamp there yet. I feed them those little shrimp things mostly and some times those little floating pellets.
Marianne
Level 1
Level 1

A probable cause is vitamin-A deficiency, if you don\'t know.
um... when my turtle\'s eye got swollen, I tried to find some vitamin-A-high foods. *not supplements, which can cause an overdose if not given carefully (then it becomes liver disease)
some foods include chicken liver, carrots, tomatoes... look on the internet or books for more.
Also, try putting your turtle out in a sunny spot every day.
After a while, which may seem a long while, some partially white thing MAY come out of the eye. If the eye opens, you might be able to see the whitish thing in the front of (or all over) the eye. I just waited for them to come out, and when they did, my turtle was fine (this took some time).
Although some eye drops are available, it\'s probably best to let the turtle heal more independently with vitamin-A, CLEAN water, and sun.
To avoid this from happening again, make sure the water is always clean and give your turtle a more varied diet.
Oh... and be PATIENT.
I hope this helps. Good luck to your turtle.
  • Information