new turtle is terrified of me!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dichotomia

Hi, I am the owner of a new yellow belly slider baby. Ive had him for about 2 weeks and have done almost nothing but worry about him since I brought him home. I have been getting alot of help from this message board and really believe I would have been lost without the answers Ive received here. Ive had the typical problems with him since day one..not eating, not basking, staying underwater for hours on end..Ive been constantly worried that he would get too tired and drown! I have a 35 gal. set up with all the needed elements. I am considering adding another baby, maybe a RES..would this be a bad idea? He has just gotten to the point where he is eating well and will bask if Im not near the tank. He still dives to the bottom to hide when I walk past his tank. Would another turtle help him get comfortable and remind him of the large community tank I bought him from? Or is there another way to make him less afraid..should I take him out sometimes to get used to me? Thanks for any replies and for help already received.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, take him out and hold him, take him for exercise romps around the yard, and feed him by using your hend to place the food in the water so he can see your fingures. Eventually he\'ll get used to his new set up and bask more often, eat, and he\'ll start associating you with food and will begin to trust you. Before you know it, he\'ll be feeding out of your hand. Don\'t worry it\'s normal for a new turtle, esspecially a baby. Make sure the water isn\'t too deep, so he can get up to the top without too much exsilleration. It would be fne to get a new turtle, just slowly introduce them together. Good luck!
Willie
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you do get a new turtle, you should quarantine it for at least 90 days to make sure it doesn`t have anything your turtle could catch. The large \"community tank\" you got him from wasn`t for the benefit of the turtles. It saves the store space, but overcrowds the turtles terribly (not healthy). Turtles are basically solitary creatures and don`t need buddies, so I wouldn`t make that the main reason to get another turtle if you must get one.

My turtle was terrified of me for over a month when I first got him. Taking him out to feed him in a separate container did a lot to get him used to me. If you do this, though, be consistent. It just takes time...
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I feed our turtle and he was afraid of my wife and headed for the bottom every time she came around if I wasn\'t there. She startted taking Herk for his walks and he is no longer afraid of her or me unless we surprise him, which doesn\'t happen often. Give it some time.
  • Information