Did my baby RES become blind?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Tomy601K

I got two baby RES recently from a friend ... they used to react when I got my finger near them ... Today ... my brother repalced the water with hot water from the kitchen tub (I would say it was very warm) ... you know it is summer and the pipes are hot ... any how after he put them in the water they didn\'t move ... he freacked out and brought me immediatly ... I took them out of the water and put them into temp tank ... replaced the water with nuetral temprature water ... and put them back ... I noticed that one of them is still reacting when I get my finger near him ... but the other is not reacting :(
Did he became blind from the hot water ??? he is opening his eyes and closing them and both of them are eating ... Please any feed back would be appreciated ... I\'m so sad at the moment and staying near the tank watching them all the time ...

Regards,
Tomy.
turtlepower
Level 1
Level 1

I don\'t really have an answer for you, but it seems somewhat unlikely that warm water would result in blindness. maybe it just caused some sort of shock and his body needs time to readjust.
but you did say that he was eating? that\'s probably a good sign. i\'d just watch him closely throughout the coming days and wait. if he stops eating or swimming, i\'d get him to a vet immediately. the best thing you can do here would be to observe him and notice unusual behavior--and trust your instinct. if you think something\'s just not quite right, i\'d take action. good luck :)
Tomy601K

Last edited by Tomy601K on Fri Aug 22, 2003 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtlepower
Level 1
Level 1

Tommy,
Your turtles will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers today. Let me know how it works out.

-sara
Tomy601K

I think the crises is over now ... my two RES are back to normal now ... and I can say definitly that little one is not blind ... when I fed him, he swim toward the food even under the water ... I\'m so happy now :)
I\'ll do my best to protect them and to be a good mother for them ;)

Best Regards,
Tomy.
Dave
Level 1
Level 1

If I\'m not wrong, their eyes got dry because of the warm water, but it will not have any other problem... But they do enjoy the warm water time to time again as long as it isn\'t too warm...:)
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Glad to read that your turts are back to normal...
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

aww i love it when there is a happy ending!
  • Information