my turtles shell is peeling

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
penny608

my turtle (jessie) is i think 5 or 6 years old she is a RES and i just recently got her from my boyfriend and he kept her in water all the time he thought that was ok. now i have noticed peeling on the top and bottom of her shell. i have read that the top is ok but the bottom is not good. will you please help me i really need it thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles shed the top layer of their scutes both on the top and bottoms of their shells as they grow. How does the shell look underneath? Is it healthy?

RES like to bask, and it`s necessary for them to do so for the health of their shells and proper digestion. Your turtle needs to have an easily accessible basking area to get out and fully dry off. And he should be basking under proper lighting (UVB light and a heat lamp), with the temp. 85-90 degrees.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, she not he.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

mine are sheddinng too.mercedes and chip.i saved a few of there sheddings as memories.
penny608

i really appericate your help with my turtle on the bottom of her shell it looks normal like the bottom however the top of the shell it looks to me a little lighter like thecenter of the \"hump\" is a lighter yellow it could just be my eyes but im not sure. and again thank you for helping me
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

My painted turtle peeled alot when I got her, a friend gave her to me. I thought I was doing something wrong, I think she was just growing, but I did buy some turtle shell cream at the pet store and massaged it into her shell to keep it healthy, she really liked that
  • Information