algae?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Post Reply
keithx
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:18 pm
Contact:

In the corner of the tank where the UVB light is on Jack\'s basking rock I discovered a bright green growth today... What can I go to safely kill the algae? (I am assuming algae).
mariza
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 1339
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:49 am
Contact:

It`s algae, and it`s not really bad, just unsightly. The light encourages it`s growth and if you have your tank in front of a window, moving it would help discourage it`s growth. How long are your lights on? I wouldn`t put anything in to kill it (avoid chemicals whenever possible). When you clean your tank, clean it really well and remove all algae to discourage its growth. If you leave just a tiny bit, it will come back really fast.
keithx
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 1:18 pm
Contact:

i was going to put a few snails in or an algae eater.... but jack is ravenous... he eats everything now... and its behind the rock by the UVB bulb... i leave my lights on for one day cycle... usually 10-12 hours.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2003 9:45 pm
Contact:

u could try snails.but buy cheap 1\'s because chances are they will ghet eaten.
Post Reply
  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests