Another RES question

Discussions about turtles.
Mackenzie2003
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for dominating the boards here, I guess I should write all my questions down and post them at once.

Anyway...

I\'ve read some posts that red ear sliders can be hand fed. Today, I took mine out and held it in the palm of my hand and held a pellet in another hand and up to his mouth and he did nothing. How can I get mine to hand feed?

Thanks again.

Mackenzie
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

I have also heard owners say they can hand feed their turts but have never tried it. I do know that RES need to be in the water to swallow so you can\'t hold and try to feed them. Try holding food in your fingers but keep them under water and see if your RES will eat out of your hand.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I hold the pellet between my thumb and index finger just out of the water and my turtle rises slightly out of the water to take it. Most of the time he`s accurate, sometimes he tries to take a bit of my finger with it. I`ve been doing it since he was a baby, and he`s so used to being hand fed that even if I put food in the water, he will wait expectantly until he realizes the food`s in the water.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

My turts do the same thing as Mariza\'s. I have one turt that actually gets the food perfectly every time, and the other one snips my finger 2-3 times before he gets it right. There has to be some level of trust b/n you and your turt though, if your turt associates you with food, he/she might go for it, and you have to trust that your turt isn\'t going to bite your finger off.
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

my res loves romaine lettuce, try holding that out for them to get, that way they dont have to get so close to your hand, they may not trust you. Animals are strange at times, sometimes mine eats it when i hold it others they wont.
  • Information