Plankton as an alternative?

Discussions about turtles.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hey guys,

I\'m not an expert on ocean life...the pet store dude told me to feed my turts plankton when I wanted to buy some dried shrimp. They look similar in color and smell the same...what do you guys think? Is this a suitable alternative for my 2 RES?
deesygirl

I have never tried it. Sounds like it would be fine though.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Plankton and shrimp are not the same thing. Shrimp feed on the plankton, but it might be ok. My pet guy never recommended plankton for my turt. I am about to add shrimp to diet so will ask them and see what they say tomorrow.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I didn\'t say they were the same thing, I just said that they look the same (both orangy and small) and they smell the same. I have fed some to my turtles since I posted and they gobble them up. My pet food guy recommended it to me b/c he said that they\'re similar, in that they will provide something different for the turts to eat and that instead of spending 5.00 on a tiny can of shrimp, I could spend 8 on a can that\'s 4x the size of the shrimp.

Thanks for your posts though.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I talked to my pet store guy and he told me the same thing. They are less per oz than the shrimp with the same benefit.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for your posts!
  • Information