Discussions about turtles.
Mackenzie2003
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks!

Well, I\'m a newbie, both to the site and to turtles. I just bought my first red eared slider 3 weeks ago and he\'s just a baby (his shell is only the size of a quarter).

I do have a question or two tho...

1- How can I tell if he\'s a male or female?
2- How long will it be before it starts to grow?

Right now that\'s all I have, but I\'m sure I\'ll have more later!

Thanks everybody!

~Mackenzie
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

1. You won`t be able to tell if your turtle is male or female until it`s about 4 inches.

2. Aside from hereditary factors (turtles grow at different rates like people do), growth depends on factors like diet, heat, UVB lighting, etc. Favorable living conditions promote growth. But too much growth, from too much protein, for example is not healthy. You want to provide a varied, balanced diet so you have slow and steady growth.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

In the first few months, the turtles grow a lot, after a while, the growth becomes more moderate. My 2 year olds have grown to about 4 and 1/2 inches long and have stayed that way for the past few months, although I have noticed that their shells are getting darker and pointier.

There\'s a section on this site that tells you how to tell the difference between a boy and a girl, once they are little older.

Hope this helps :)
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

I just got 6 baby res about 4 wks ago, they told me and all I read is they only grow about 1/2 inch to 1 inch per year. which sounds right according to my other two turtles, they are about 4 to 6 years old and their shell is about the same.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

Mackenzie omg that was my RES\'s name but then i found out it was a boy so i had to change it to mac! lolz gl!
  • Information