Little one not eating...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Steds

I have a small turtle hatchling who doesn\'t seem to be eating.

I don\'t feed him pellets, but rather fresh trout and other protein substitutes (e.g., raw beef).

Any suggestions on what else to try? Obviously, his mouth is very small...
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How long have you had him? If you just got him, it may take him a few days to adjust. What`s your water temp.? If the water`s too cool, he cannot eat and will become inactive. Water temp. should be 78-80 degrees F. Get a submersible water heater if necessary. Basking area temp. should be 85-90 degrees (5-10 degrees warmer than the water).
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I agree with Mariza\'s post. Time is a factor with little turtles. They need time to adjust to their new settings. I remember when I first got my turts I freaked out and thought they were going to die of starvation. After about 2 weeks, they finally started picking at their food.

Hope this helps.
deesygirl

Do you feed in a seperate container or in your main tank? I know when I tried to feed seperate my little ones would never eat. :) Of course I gave in and fed them in the main tank. I also found that they are a little shy about eating with an audiance. I just put the food in and went away.

Good luck and welcome to the board.
  • Information