\"Eskimo kissing\" - what does it mean?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Steds

My turtles often swim facing each other - as if giving each other an eskimo kiss - and hold their front legs towards each other.

What does this mean? What are they doing?
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

It\'s the \"mating dance\". The first step towards mating.
Turtlecrazy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, my female and male painters always do this. They can spend up to 5 mins at a time in this position. After the 5 minutes is up, the female swims away. My male tries to keep her there, but he can\'t since he\'s missing an arm. My female is about 4 inches and my male is 3.5 inches. My quetion is. Isn\'t this a lottle early since they can\'t mate untill their carpace is 5 inches in length? Does this mean, \"THEY ARE READY\", or is it just, i dunno, \'flirting\'? And my next quetion. Will the male be ale to somehow keep the female with him the future? Even with him missing an arm? Will she just stay? Because I really want soem eggs. Thanks!
Turtlecarzy
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

My turtles started when they were small too. I couldn\'t believe it when they were like less than a year old and they started doing the dance. They\'re almost getting to the 5\" shell though...we\'ll see how it turns out...

My question is can same sex turts do the mating dance? Because mine seem to have all of the similar characteristics, I\'m starting to think they\'re both boys.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Your question was answered in the post \"What are My Turtles Doing?\" below.
  • Information