Lima Beans for diet

Discussions about turtles.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I had one person tell me to add green lima beans to my turtles diet. Is this a good addition as far as veggies go? I don\'t know about the fat content in this vegatable so I am asking. I have checked some other sites and did not find a yea or nay. I am trying to vary his diet with the veggies so that he doesn\'t get bored.
moxie
Level 2
Level 2

Well, I have never heard of it but I have a turtle book that says to try feeding your turtles a variety of things like veggies, chicken etc. and if they like it then great. My turtles are such pigs ...they will eat anything! How do you feed the lima beans to your turt?

Cheers
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

They are the green limas that are frozen. Will defrost, skin, cut up and put in feeding tub at feeding time and see what he does I guess. He needs some variety, gets tired of lettuce, carrotts, green peas and the like so I was going to try the green lima beans as a different veggie.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Why don\'t you add shrimp, fish, crabs to your turts diet? Veggies are good, but they need some protein too...
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Herk is getting chicken, Reptomin, bananas, green peas, lettuces, crickets, and the like. Had not thought about shrimp or crabs, was adding cooked blue hake because it did not have fat and was high in protein. Thanks for the addition to his/her diet, variety is the spice of life. All dietary suggestions greatly appreciated.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Try: chicory, collards (raw), dandelion, endive, grapeleaves, kale, turnip greens, watercress. All contain calcium, as does duckweed, an aquarium plant. My guy also loves anachris, another aquarium plant. Then there`s water hyacinth and water lettuce. Red bell peppers are another favorite...
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

Did not know about chicory, grapeleaves, and red bell peppers have tried and am feeding the others. How about green bell peppers? The anacharis is starting to get expensive. Need to learn to grow it. Where do you find water lettuce, I have not seen it before, I will aask my pet guy since he keeps turts too.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I know about how expensive anachris can get. It`s fairly easy to root, and sometimes I can buy it with the roots already starting, but it`s eaten quickly so it never stays around. I would think green bell peppers would be OK, but my guy likes the red (the color and sweetness, I think). For other possibilities, you could try http://www.anapsid.org/resources/edible/html or http://chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm
For bad plants try http:www.chelonia.org/Articles/plantsthatpoison.htm

HTH
  • Information