Turtle Bite

Discussions about turtles.
msrodz

My mud turlte bit my thumb about 5 days ago. It is a small bite more like a small nick. Today my thumb joint is stiff, like I jammed it but I don\'t recall doing so. ARE TURTLE BITES DANGEROUS? Do I need to call a vet or doc? Thank you
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The biggest danger I`ve heard of from turtles is salmonella if you don`t wash properly after handling. (This excludes turtles like snappers, which additionally also have dangerous bites.) If they catch the skin just right, they can break it, as you noted. If you mean poisonous like snakes, I`ve never heard of such a thing. Did you wash it well and put medication on your thumb after it happened? The stiffness could be because you favored the thumb after it happened and it feels stiff if your`re starting to bend it now.
msrodz

Thank you for replying. TOday my thumb is feeling better. It didn\'t bother me until yesterday and I had not been favoring it. It was swollen a little and my mind began to wonder. Glad to hear turtles bites are \"ok\". If I had not remembered the turtle had bit that thumb I never would have worried. Thank You!
  • Information