Turtle ages

Not sure what kind of turtle you have? Come in and ask the turtle community.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

hello. i was wondering if there is any way i can tell the ages of my (my son,s) 2 new res\'?they are a little bit bigger than a quarter..
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

blejnbaby wrote:
u usually can\'t tell until they are older. a male has a longer thinner tail, and their claws become longer in the front. a males plastron can be flat or concave.

a female has a shorter fatter tail, (easier access for the male), sometimes their plastron is flat or convex.

it\'s not alot of help but u usually cant tell until they are 4 or 5 years old. long time to wait huh?
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

yeah!but i have no idea how old they are now....i know that they are babies because of thier size
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

right.........they could be anywhere between a year to a year and a half. maybe that\'s more a dependable to say
heatherd
Level 1
Level 1

No no no. IF they are only a little bigger than a quarter then they are not over a year old.
How logn have you had them? NEw hatchlings are about the size of a quarter. My year old sliders female is about 3\", my male 3 year old slider is about 3.5-4\". Males and females grow at different rates but if they\'re only quarter size, they are just new hatchlings, especially if you just go tthem b/c babies usually hatch in the spring.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

About 2months now..when i first got them they were the size of quarters..now Zippy is the size of a 50 cent piece<<<<I think it may be a girl>>>>>and Skyler is still pretty much the same size as before!!Does that help!!!
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

Ok it hasn\'t been 2 months yet but almost!!!!lol.....

hoow an u find baby turtles?
whens mating seasons?

how can you tell if there male or female? i have 3 MEWTWO SCOOTER SPEEDY Speedy is still little the other are sort of big.if u know plz e-mail me at [email protected]
jbird507
Level 3
Level 3

thats what i need help figuring out also. im pretty sure my turtles a girl but im not positive. i might be aable to help you buti need to know what kind and exactly how big.
  • Information