Algae growth

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
dantheman98

There are turtles in the lake in my back yard and I feed them bread a lot. Some of them have a lot of algae on their back. Should I clean it off?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

You could clean it with a soft bristle toothbrush.is it your pnd or a wild one?if its yours you could put in koi fish because they love to eat the algae off things.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Umm i think it says its a lake so they must be wild. if there wild turtles thant the algeas probably normal. U shouldnt have to wory about it if there wild b/c they can survive on there own
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Algae is natural on wild turtles. As long as their shells look ok, I`d leave it alone. You could splurge and give them something more nutritious to eat than bread, though. Bread is not good for turtles.
dantheman98

I tried feeding them little pieces of lettuce but they spit it out. They absolutly love the bread, and so do the soft shells. They also have algae on their heads and legs. Not a lot, but its there. Thanks for the responses.

Why is bread bad for turtles?
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Have you ever seen a turtle eating bread in the wild?

No, but I don\'t ever see turtles eating pellets in the wild either.

It was just a question. I was just wondering if there was some particular ingredient in the bread that made it bad.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtle pellets were created with turtles in mind and are meant to provide nutrition for them. Bread was not. It has sugar, oils and other chemicals that were not meant to be digested by turtles. Processed human food is not good for turtles.

Thanks. I didn\'t know that.
  • Information