Dr. Turtle

Discussions about turtles.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

Is Dr. Turtle or equivalent necessary for the tank? Everytime I put one in, the turts end up eating it even if I hide it away.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Dr. Turtle is intended for use as a preventative against fungal infections. I have read that a question has been raised about long-term use and a turtle`s developing a resistance to it and it`s not being effective if needed. (Kind of like people taking antibiotics for every little thing and the antibiotics eventually losing their effectiveness.) If you keep the water clean with changes, I wouldn`t think it would be necessary. The calcium content in it is not in a form that`s readily available for turtles to absorb. If your turtle wants to munch on something, get him some cuttlebone (the stuff for birds). Take off the hard backing, break it into pieces and let some float in the tank. It`s a good calcium supplement that many turtles like and can munch on when they feel like it.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

What do u mean when u say the hard backing For cuttlebone?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Cuttlebone has a soft side and a hard side (the shell). Peel off the shell before you break it into pieces. Your turtles can`t bite through it and it`s sharp and could cut them.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

do u have ne methods of taking it of mine doesnt seem to want to peel off.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`ve broken a lot of nails just using my hands. I`ve heard of some people soaking it first, but since the cuttlebone will eventually get water-logged and sink if your turtle doesn`t eat it, I`ve never tried it. I couldn`t see getting it wet to help it sink more quickly, although I suppose you could let it dry out before you used it.

Try prying it off with a knife. It probably won`t come off in one piece; it will most likely lift off in parts.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I got the back off the cuttlebone using a paring knife. It takes a little bit of time but it works well and the results are worth it. Saves a lot of the bone.
  • Information