What are my turtles doing?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
ashley1728

Ok i have two turtles a boy and a girl. My turtles do this weird thing where the boy stretches out and put his fingers\\claws over her eyes and then flutters them very fast. She seems not to mind it because she just sits there and relaxes. What is that all about? ANd he gets on top of her and it looks like his tail is in her, im pretty sure there mating, i just didnt know if his tail was like what he used to mate with. Please leave feedback if youve seen this or know what they are doing.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The hand fluttering is the beginning of the mating ritual (the male is getting the female interested). From what you described, they are indeed mating.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

if they are matured and the same species and on aboy and another a girl then congragulations you\'ll be exspecting babis.keep us updated.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

My turtles have been doing that on and off (the little dancing thing with the hands) for over a year, but i\'ve never seen them mating. Is it possible that they\'re both boys / girls? Would they still be doing the mating dance if they are the same sex?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How old are they? If they`re too young to mate, they can still do the fluttering and even females can do it. If they`re the same sex and fluttering at each other, it`s most likely not mating behavior but a form of dominance (showing whose boss).
ashley1728

I just got these turtles about a week ago from a friend, she was moving and so i took them. She said she has had them for about 5 years. And she told me they were a boy and a girl. What do i do if they are mating? How long does it take for them to have eggs and what should i do with the eggs? They have a basking area but it is made up of slate so she really doesnt have anywhere to lay them. Is there any kind of certain conditions they need to mate? ANy help on this would be great. Thanx!
ashley1728

Oh yea my turtles azre both Red Ear SLiders, i dunno if that makes a difference on there gestion times and what not.
keithx
Level 1
Level 1

jack started doing the hand fluttering at a skull and crossbones thing in his tank.. the one bone sticks out and he must have thought it was another turtles head. he started fluttering his little hands at it. its really funny. but i think this confirms that he is a male. unfortunately i think his feelings were hurt when the skull didn\'t quite return his feelings. he is only about 2 months old.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Not necessarily. Females have been know to do it too, though not often. If two turtles of the same sex do it to each other, it`s most likely a show of dominance. (My male does it to my index and pinky fingers on my right hand only. And a few weeks ago, I placed him in front of a mirror and he went crazy fluttering at his reflection.)
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

That\'s funny Mariza, fluttering to his own reflection. I guess turtles can\'t identify themselves in the mirrors. Do you think that they can identify other turtles by sight?
pinkiee
Level 1
Level 1

my turtle was doing the fluttering to his shell! .... it was so cute!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

But he surprised me--when he got no response to the \"other\" turtle (his reflection), he would walk to the edge of the mirror (it was on the floor)and look behind the mirror to see if the other turtle was there! Seeing no other turtle, he would walk back in front of the mirror and start fluttering at himself again. He did this several times.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I think they can identify other turtles by sight as far as knowing they are turtles, but I read that the sense of smell plays an important part in identification, especially for mating with the correct species.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Ashley, whose post got lost in this thread, if your female starts to lay eggs, you should provide a nesting area for her to lay them properly. If she is old enough, she will lay eggs even if they are not fertile.
keithx
Level 1
Level 1

jack got discouraged when he realized that crossbones weren\'t another turtle... he swam around came back... fluttered... and then he was like \"oh well\"...
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

awww my turtles (who are matured res and are boy and girl dont seemed to be interested whats that about?) lolz
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

manda, wen u first introduced mac to reese he did it.guess she turtned him down.lol
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i guess so haha
  • Information