peeling shell??

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

my RES\'s shell is peeling!! every little section on it\'s back looks like it\'s shedding! is that normal? if not, then wut do i do? and this thing also smells like dirty socks...i scrubbed it down with a old tooth brush, but it still smells! heeellllp plz!!!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Shedding the top layer of scutes on the shell is normal and is a sign of growth. Does the shell underneath look healthy/normal? If so, there shouldn`t be a cause for worry. If not, your turtle may have other shell problems.

Sometimes water (and bacteria) can get trapped under shedding scutes causing an infection or shell rot to form. As far as the smell, is your turtle basking under proper (UVB) lighting regularly? (Will help with the shedding.) Are you keeping the water clean with regular changes? The smell could be coming from your turtle being in unclean water, not from your turtle itself. Do you use gravel? If so, I`d get rid of it; it also can cause a smell if not cleaned well (difficult to do).
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

And if you are cleaning your turtle`s shell, be gentle--their shells are sensitive, especially the growth areas in between the scutes (plates). Use only a very soft brush, a soft cloth is better.

If your turtle`s shell looks healthy underneath and it seems to you like normal shedding, don`t try to take the peeling scutes off. Leave them alone if there is any resistance. Peeling scutes off a normally shedding turtle is like trying to pick off a scab when it`s not ready to come off; let nature take its course.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

mariza wrote:
Shedding the top layer of scutes on the shell is normal and is a sign of growth. Does the shell underneath look healthy/normal? If so, there shouldn`t be a cause for worry. If not, your turtle may have other shell problems.

Sometimes water (and bacteria) can get trapped under shedding scutes causing an infection or shell rot to form. As far as the smell, is your turtle basking under proper (UVB) lighting regularly? (Will help with the shedding.) Are you keeping the water clean with regular changes? The smell could be coming from your turtle being in unclean water, not from your turtle itself. Do you use gravel? If so, I`d get rid of it; it also can cause a smell if not cleaned well (difficult to do).
i just got the turtle yesterday. she\'s a RES and i live in michigan...i didn\'t think there was wild RES here. yes she has a basking area. but it looks like the under side of her shell has a sore or somthin. it don\'t look bad tho. there is no gravel in the tank and i just cleaned it today. thankz for the info!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

What does the sore on the plastron (underside) look like? This is a wild-caught turtle? How big is it?

If you missed it, please read my second post to you above.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

yes she is wild caught. the sore looks like a very thin layer of the shell may have been torn. she is about 7 inches long and 4-5 inches wide.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

OMG...i jus noticed somthing else! near where the top shell and the bottom shell meet, theres some more sores. but they look like blisters. i was feeling one of them to c if it felt ne diff from the rest and she freaked out! can she actually get blisters or is that somthing else?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It saddens me that a turtle has been taken from the wild when there are so many turtles (especially RES) that need homes. But you have her now and she(?) is your responsibility. I hope you have/will get a proper set-up for the turtle.

I don`t understand if these \"blister\" are on the shell or on the skin? Are they open/oozing, reddish, whitish?
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

if i didn\'t live in a city i would let the turtle go. as soon as i can go to a lake, i\'ll drop off both of mine. the reason i kept this one is because it was just sitting in the middle of a parking lot. the blist is on the bottom of it\'s shell and is a slightly lighter yellow
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

i heard someone say before that shedding means their growin up. is that true all the time? cuz my RES seems pretty big and it\'s in the middle of shedding....how big do these things get?!
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Females can get 10-12 inches. Males are somewhat smaller, 7-9 inches. (You read some variations, but those sizes are not uncommon.)

Without a picture, it`s hard to tell if the blisters(?) are just peeling or something else. Does the turtle seem sick? Is it alert and active?

If the turtle was stuck in a parking lot, then your effort to save it from possibly getting run over was well-intentioned. Is there a lake/water near the parking lot where it may have been trying to get to? If there is, and the turtle seems healthy and you`ve only had it a day, putting it back in a safe place in the same area heading in the direction it was going might be best. Others may have different suggestions... If it`s sick, I wouldn`t just release it, though.

You have another turtle? Is it a pet? Is it a baby, or have you had it a long time? If so, I would not release it. Someone named Juzi asked this question under the General Discussion Forum (Setting a Turtle Free or something similar). There are responses there that explain why it wouldn`t be good, not the least of which would be that the turtle could transmit diseases to native turtle populations and it would not have developed the survival skills to make it on its own.

Where are you located?

Sorry, I don`t have AIM.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

actually, the turtle was going away from a small ditch. in the direction it was going, there isn\'t water for a loong ways. i live in michigan. thats y i was suprised to find a RES. aren\'t they southern? if the blisters are peels, is normal that they irratate the turtle? they seem like they do. she seems active. my other turtle is a couple inches smaller and was also wild.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I don`t know whether RES are native to Michigan or not, but they have taken root and thrived in areas they are not native to, even in other parts of the world.

Does the turtle seem like it was a pet? Does it seem used to people? If you live in a residential area, maybe it just got too big and the owner let it go. I don`t know what to say about those blisters...

If the turtle was a pet, if it is sick, I wouldn`t release it. If you`ve had your turtle a while (especially if you had it since it was small), even if it was wild caught, letting it go would not be the best for it either. Consider a turtle rescue operation. www.turtlehomes.org has a national network. (I tried to search for one in Michigan, but haven`t found one.) There are also places like North Indiana Turtle Rescue and Referral (NITRR) http://www.madewellgardens.com/turtle_placement.shtml and North Carolina Turtle Rescue and Referral (NCTRR) http://www.freewebs.com/nctrr that will take and rehome unwanted turtles. You might email them and ask them what to do (they may better contacts). You could also try to contact a local wildlife rehabilitator (search under \"wildlife rehabiliation\"). Good luck.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

i caught my painted turtle just this summer. she wasn\'t a baby. i can\'t really tell if sunny was a pet before or not. she accepts food with no prob...but she hides when i enter the room. i\'m 15, so if the only turtle home place thing ur talkin bout is in another state, thats out of the question. i haven\'t got ne money, so doing ne thing that costs ne thing is also out of the question.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Well, then I`d contact the Turtle Homes above and ask them if they have a contact in your state and/or try the local wildlife rehabilitator option mentioned above.
  • Information