Walking my turtles?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
TurtleMama
Level 2
Level 2

My two RES are happy and healthy. They are very active & eat well. I put them outside in the sunshine most days to feed so they are in water. For the first time today, I took them out of their tub and let them walk in the grass. Do they benefit from this? I had a hard time watching them. Naturally, they went in different directions and the little one dug down in the grass. If I had not been watching, I would have lost him. Is walking turtles a good idea?
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I think it is because we walk ours for about 15-30 minutes outside. on the days that the weather is nice. I dont know if I would put both out at same time too hard for one to keep up with. The digging down or burrowing and hiding is just natural, I think, ours does it.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i wlk mine around the block on leashes of string sometimes.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I would think it would be OK, especially to get some natural sunlight. You have to watch them carefully, though--they are fast when they want to be. I`d also check them in case they picked up anything like ticks, mites, etc. and I`d rinse them off before putting them back in the tank.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

i don\'t kno if they benifit from walkin around, but the fresh outside are is probably nice for them. maybe a little fenced in area large enough for them to enjoy would b easier for keeping track?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Yea y0ou could try a fenced off area.but i id that wih my turtles and the go righgt out so make sre its secure.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

I have a spot that I can put mine in that will keep him/her sort of corraled but you still have to watch them. I got some of the edging that is used for gardens and I set it up in an area for the turtle to run around in. Just have to watch out and make sure that turtle doesn\'t go over or under.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

you can always use a leash me and turtle sue dd this with our turt and they loved it!
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

hey manda.the same wayi make leashes.with string and elastics.i tried with a boe for the turtle wedding.it fitts really good.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

awwwwww! oh ya guys my turts are gettin married!
  • Information