Help Please

Discussions about turtles.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

I have 3 RES..they\'ve been in the tank together for over a year now and no problems. Now, two of them have a white, rotted looking spot right on their neck immediatly after the fold in their skin. Anyone know what this is? I have a hunch that they were bitten because the turtle that likes to nipple doesn\'t have the spot. THanks
deesygirl

sounds as though it could be one of two things.

Yes, they could be getting nipped. If that is the case I would seperate them. Another thing to look for is the health of their shells. If they are not shedding correctly they could be rubbing the back of their necks on their shells. I know having just gone through this with a few of mine.
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

hmm, thanks. They seem to be shedding fine. Their shells look very good. I think it\'s because of the biting. I will probably separate once I can afford a filter for my other tank. It worry\'s me a little though, because the spots started out as very small and now they are getting bigger. thanks for reply
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How big are your turtles and what size tank are they in? If it`s a bite or scrape and not too deep, you could put a little Neosporin on the area. Keep them out of the tank a little while (30 min-1 hr) to let it sink in the skin better (it`s oil-based).
sbgol80
Level 2
Level 2

So say it isn\'t from being bit...anyone seen anything like this before?
  • Information