Feeding my water turtle

Discussions about turtles.
juanitamwilliams

We just recieved a water turtle and are concerned about what to feed him. He doesn\'t like the turtle pellets but really likes the snails we catch in the pond. How often should we feed him and are the snails enough? Thanks from a turtle rookie!
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Snails will be fine. you can feed him every other day.you can try cooked chicken,cooked hotdog,cooked sausages,romaine lettuce,or guppies.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Human food like hotdogs and sausages shouldn`t be fed to turtles (too fatty and have lots of chemicals).

Is the turtle wild-caught (hope not)? If so it will most likely prefer the types of food he was eating in the wild (insects, worms, etc.), and may take some time to get used to pellets. With foods like snails, worms from the wild, you run the risk of parasites (if the turtle was from the wild the chances it has parasites are pretty good). Cooked white chicken meat is OK to get him eating and as an occasional treat, as are things like sardines packed in water, shrimp, krill (ocasionally only).

How old/big is your turtle? If it`s a baby, pellets like Reptomin or Zoo-Meds offer the most balanced nutrition. Variety is best though, so supplement with other foods. Snails only is unbalanced and not good. It`s important not to overfeed. A general guide for portion size some people follow is to feed an amount equal to the size of it`s head, not including the neck. Up to one year, a turtle should be fed once a day, after one year every other day. Veggies, if your turtle will eat them, can be given daily. Stay away from iceberg lettuce, broccoli and spinach. Aquatic plants like anachris, duckweed, water hyacinth and water lettuce also also good to give.

Do you have a proper set up? Since you`re new to turtles, you should read some care sheets to find out what your turtle needs and some of the other posts. Getting a book on your type of turtle (a red-eared slider?) would also be good.
steppy104
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle was wild caught, and she loves the same meats i have for dinner. (i share with her) when i give her live fish she doesn\'t seem to have much interest in them. her all time fav right now is keilbasca (probably spelt wrong) and sliced ham. i\'m still tryin diff foods with her right now since i ain\'t got nuthin else to feed her but wut i eat! so far she hasn\'t turned anythin down.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Feeding processed meat is not good for turtles. Just because they eat something doesn`t mean it`s good for them. They are opportunistic eaters and even eat their own poop. Unfortunately they often get hooked on fecies if given to them and refuse to eat anything else. A fatty, unbalanced diet that will likely lead to health problems and a shortened life.
  • Information