The biggest most crudiest post ever but ill try...

Discussions about turtles.
LuciasAmen-ra
Level 3
Level 3

I need to know what i need to make the perfect basking spot. Right now i have a little 10 gallon aquarium because i tried putting my turtles in the 33 gallon tank i also own, they would just sit in the water for 3 days. But next cleaning i am thinkg about transeferring them to the 33 gallon. I need to know how to make a Basking spot and what kind of bulbs to use, i saw on pets mart that they have these 7% uv bulbs but i am not sue if those are the Flourecent long tube like bulbs. I am thinking about using bricks and rocks to pile together and making a 5-9 inch basking spot for Lucias and Amen-ra(sound good?) I am also trying to find bloodworms but my dad says that they wont eat all 13. so he told me about Freeze Dried Bloodworms? i dont think these are real but i am thinking about how much calcium they will get. i need to know what foods/meats have all the right stuff to feed my turtles good. toady i fed them 1 pinch of shrimp, and about 1-2 pinches of Turtle pellets and carrot slivers. is this good? they seem to like it though. I have bought a lily pad (foam) but they hardly use it, whats up with that?

Sorry if i conguse you guys but thx for reading my post

[email protected]
AllTurtles
Administrator
Administrator

Your materials for a basking spot sounds like a good idea. I have been told for the lighting that you should have the UVB lamp over the basking area for them but it does not give off heat. What I use for a heat lamp is a 60 watts light bulb. In my set up the UVB is on one side and the beach on the other. I did try to have the log partially under the UVB. They say the UVB should be in the basking area because the water filters the UVB rays and they are not getting true rays. However the vet says my turtles are in great shape and health. :eyes
poohbear
Level 2
Level 2

I would use rocks and sand for the basking spot. Sand packs down really well and will stay put. Dandilion leaves are really good for turtles. They have lots of calcium and vitamins. There is also this powder stuff I heard about that you dust on the food before you give it to the turtles. Freeze dried blood worms might be real, if they have freeze dried pinkey mice the will probably have blood worms too.

i used pvc pipes sealed the ends so no water can get in and then had bark glued to the pvc and they sit outside the water 75% of the time plus the whole bottom of the tank is water and then they much more space below which i have 2 soft shell turtles that love the bury themselves in the sand so i cant take away the floor space
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I bought a floating basking area that will suction cup to the tank. I stacked rocks up to it so he wont have to swim too far to get up to it. I have a 50 gal tank. Be sure not to have the fish subtrate gravel in the bottom, they can swallow it and get impacted. Use river rock, as long as it is bigger than the turtles heads. As for food.... The proteins dont need to be given real often. You can give too much. As adults they become vegetarians. The dried shrimp and such are better as occasional snacks. I give baby reptomin pellets (only as much as will fit in its head per day) I wet them and roll them in calcium powder and drop them in. Then I give veggies. They are free to eat as much of those as they wish. Mine likes romaine lettuce, carrot shavings, bellpepper, squash and most other veggies are good. Stay away from broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage family, spinach and bananas. Too much is NOT GOOD. Also stay away from iceberg lettuce. It is better though to get them back into the larger aquarium. If you leave them too long in one that is too small they will become territorial and begin fighting. Good luck.
Last edited by shelngav on Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Information