Dry Shell Rot?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
farroutt

Hi I have three res\'s and two (Butters and Tweak) are about 4 inches and the third (Link) is about 2 inches. Anyways Link is still green while the other two is getting into their adult brownish color. I have noticed that Butters and Tweak have abrasions on the shell. Link doesnt. The areas in question are smooth with the rest of the shell having no peeling and no cracking. The setup (for now) is a 20 Long with about six inches of water in it. The basking spot used to be a long piece of petrified wood and only about 4 inches of water. (Its now a piece of plexi glass with a ramp) The reason why I changed it was because I noticed that they were hitting the bottom of the tank and also hitting the rock occasionally. I change the water frequently and the water is always crystal clear. I guess my question is, is shell rot to a turtle sort of like the common cold to us. Im not going to treat this like its not a big deal but I want to know if anyone else has had this problem. Also does anyone know of an excellent vet in phoenix?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Shell rot is highly contagious and if not treated can be fatal (I would not equate it with the common cold). To find a qualified herp vet in your area, try www.arav.org Click on members, U.S., then state. Good luck.
deesygirl

First of all it does not sound as though they have Shell Rot. You mentioned abrasions. What exactly do they look like? Is it pssoible they are scraping there shells on something in the tank? Also when did you change your setup and did you notice this before the change?
  • Information