New to being a mommy to turtles

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
nkurbis
Level 1
Level 1

I recently purchased two baby turtles in L.A at a flea market the lady that sold them to me didn\'t speak english :) I have had them in a 10 gallon tank with a basking area with a light, a rock undr the water for them to hide in and a filter. I now know I need to get a UVB light. Is there anything else that woul make them happy? How long do I have till I have to get a bigger tank? I don\'t know if they are male or female. Should I get them plants? I feed them live worms, feeder fish, freeze dried blood worms and turtle pellets ( which they never eat) shouldI be feedingthem anything else?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

A general guide for tank size is 10 gallons of tank/container per inch of shell, measured front to back. If your turtles are 1 inch each, they should be in a 20-gallon tank. Rubbermaid storage containers make good alternatives to tanks (cheap and easy to clean). Water depth should be at least at your turtle`s shell is wide so they can right themselves if they tip over. More is better, but increase depth gradually. If the water is deeper, have resting places for them in addition to the basking area. (You could put some plastic plants in (no wires) to rest on and hide in. You need that UVB light for their shells (critical). Water temp. should be about 80 degrees F. Get a submersible water heater if it can`t be kept steady around that temp.--if the water is too cool, they will become inactive, cannot eat and be susceptible to respiratory infections. Basking area temp. should be high 80`s to 90 degrees. Turtle pellets like Reptomin, ZooMed`s should be a staple, especially since they`re babies, for balanced nutrition. They are probably too young to eat plants, but it wouldn`t hurt to offer things like grated/sliced carrots, romaine or red-leaf lettuce (not iceberg--no nutrition, etc. (My turtle surprisingly began eating veggies very young.) You might add a powdered calcium supplement for their growing shells. They are too young to know what sex they are.
  • Information