feeder fish

Post any questions you have about a turtle outdoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your outdoor setup picture we would love to see it.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Is it possible to teach res that fish is food b/c my res doesnt seem to care that there are fish in the tank he just ignores them. he chased them a little than couldnt catch it so now he doesnt do ne thing cept ignore it, the other turtle chases it and its kinda funny b/c its to slow to catch it and its so little and the fish is a little big for it.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Maybe they need more time but if they have been in their tank or feedig place with the turts for over a ay then maybe you can try hitting one to slow it down for easy cach. they should be able to catch them but you could try it. 2 o my turtsouldnt eat the fish until the olde one caught it and made it reall slow.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

instead of hitting it can i just drop it on it head to slow it down lol. i dont mean to be mean but if it works y not? i got my fish when i bout 3 pregnant guppies b/c i know waht they look like. so now all the babies are grown up and i can feed them to the turtles, i kind of feel bad hurting the fish i have raised for about a year
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

I feel bad too! but if it\'s your choice they might just not like them let them get used to it a little
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

hi.me and my 2 friends just held the guppy over 2 of my turts heads and they were juumping to get it. mostly the small one like them
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i think that the turtles kinda chase after it they cant catch it then they get discouraed and stop
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

try holdibng it ova their heads
kb48542
Level 1
Level 1

My fiance\'s turtle hates guppies but loves rosy reds... my turtle also loves rosy reds... they cost about the same. Maybe turtles are choosy about the kinds of fish they like? LoL.
shelngav
Level 3
Level 3

I am sure they are, but be sure not to feed those very often. They are fatty and also they cause a Vit B deficiency. Try minnows. You can also try other proteins as well like crickets, earthworms, when we make shrimp I give mine a little and you can use fish you eat as well. Just be sure not to load up too much on the proteins. The vegetation is better for them. When they mature they are primarily vegetarians. Even though when young they prefer meat.
  • Information