Feeder Fish- Too young to be fed?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.

Hi,

I was wondering weather my week- old Red eared Slider was old enough to eat Feeder Fish. Because I almost looks as though It\'s getting tired of foodsticks.
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

no as a matter of fact he isn\'t. try buying small feeder fish such as guppies and put them in the tank with him. this will allow him to have extra excerise by chasing the fish on top of giving him some of the nutrients he needs for a balanced diet. young turtles are carnivarous at first and as they grow older they lean more toward vegetation. mine at 4 years old are still very carnivarous. so go for it, it will be entertaining as well as benifical to your turtles.

blejnbaby wrote:
no as a matter of fact he isn\'t. try buying small feeder fish such as guppies and put them in the tank with him. this will allow him to have extra excerise by chasing the fish on top of giving him some of the nutrients he needs for a balanced diet. young turtles are carnivarous at first and as they grow older they lean more toward vegetation. mine at 4 years old are still very carnivarous. so go for it, it will be entertaining as well as benifical to your turtles.
Thanks, but how many fish should I put in at once?
blejnbaby
Level 3
Level 3

i started out with 10 guppies and 2 small goldfish and moved the number up as they got older. now i have a tank full of guppies and my water monsters have a snack whenever they feel like one.

My red ear is almost 4 years old...and still growing larger every week.

1st) what size should he be at 4 years....

2) how much should he eat....It does not matter how much I feed him, he is always hunger...I can give him 12 floting sticks and he still will eat every fish in the tank. I put in 12 feeder fish about 2\" long one night to see if that would be a supplament for a week, they were all gone in the morning. He has even eaten fish twice his size....

turtles will eat as much as they are fed.
  • Information