calcium powder

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

When i got my tanks it came wiht alot of free stuff. the tank wasnt origanlly ment to hold water but my dad fixed it with sylicone and it holds fine. one of the things that came with it was jurassi cal.(calcium suppliment for reptiles and amphibians) its a white poweder and it says to spinkle some on the moist food before serving. does this sound safe b/c it doesnt say that it can/cant be used for turtles(res).
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Turtles need calcium, but I don\'t know about a powder...usually I get mine the little calcium block shaped like a turtle (I have 2 RES)....if you are unsure, don\'t add the powder to your turts. food.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I don`t know the brand Jurassic Cal., but I do occasionally put T-Rex`s 2:0 calcium supplement with no phosphorous and added vitamins on my turtle`s pellets. The information on the container should tell you if it`s OK for turtles. A powdered supplement is a good way to increase the calcium in a turtle`s diet--important for growing shells. Your turtle needs those UVB rays to be able to absorb the calcium, though. One of the best powdered supplements is called Rep-Cal (not Tetra`s Reptocal). Young turtles especially eat a lot of animal matter, which is high in phosphorus; an unbalanced calcium/phosphorous also works against calcium absorption, so a powdered supplement that contains no phosphorous (like Rep-Cal) is better than one that does (like Reptocal).

The problem with powdered supplements is that it`s hard to keep most of it from falling in the water before your turtle eats it. Some people moisten the pellets and then roll them in the powder/sprinkle it on and let it dry on the pellets (you also could put the moistened pellets in a plastic bag with some powder and shake them so they`re covered with powder and let them dry. Then feed the dried pellets to your turtle. My turtle eats from my hand eagerly, so I moisten the pellets, roll them in the powder and feel them to him without letting them dry(he eats really fast)--some falls in the water, but a fair amount gets in him. Hope this helps.
  • Information