HELP?? and Clyde

Discussions about turtles.
Kristinnh19

I just bought two small turtles that I think may be red ear sliders. They only cost $9. Anyway, what are some tips for housing, feeding, and whatever else. How can I keep their water warm until I can get a heater? The small souvenior shop where I purchased them had know idea about anything about the little guys. They are so small and the cashier told me they were probably full grown. They are about 1 1/2 inches long. Thanks for any info.
Debi S.
Level 2
Level 2

Ok, first do they have the red on the side of their heads ? You can look through this site and find alot of ideas for housing them. If they are RES and only 1 1/2 inches long, they are not full grown. You really need to get them a tank with water and an area to get out and bask in the light. Until you can afford a heater and complete set up you can put a lamp beside them -- try to situate it on top of where they are. They need warmth. So try to get them set up in a temp home until you can get everything.
I started my babies out in a ten gallon tank; half water -- half land. Do not let the water be too deep. When they stand on their hind legs their heads should be able to get out of the water. Babies tire out easliy and it might be dangerous for them if they are too tired to get up for air. Good luck and I hope I could help .
  • Information