Turtle Sounds

You can chat about non-pet topics here! Be courteous to others and keep it clean!
Angel

Hello!

I was searching for information on-line about sounds/noises that turtles make (and finding nothing) when I came across this site. I thought it might be a good place to ask about turtle noises. I have a 8-9 year old female red-ear slider named Thea and she makes a couple of different sounds. I am wondering if the turtles living with the posters here make noises and if they know what they mean. One, a sort of inhaling-hissing kind of noise she only makes when startled or really mad (like when I pick her up before she can hide under the front steps) but the other one is the one I am really wondering about. It is usually made when she is exploring and doesn\'t at all sound like she is distressed... it is very hard to explain it... sort of like a clucking sound made with a voice not a tounge... anyway, I would appreciate thoughts! Thanks!
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Well When u say shes hissing shes probably not hissing, when turtles get scared or mad they can hide inside of there shells and they cant doo that if there lungs are full of air. It if probably the release of air coming out when she goes into her shell. alot if poeple mistake it for hissing.

hope this helps a little.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Is it a clicking sound and does she do it when she`s been out of the water exploring for a while? It possibly could mean she`s getting dehydrated.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

My turtle was getting mad and trying to bite and she made a weird sound as she tryedto snap
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Sometimes my turtle wheezes or makes a hard breathing sound when I pick her up out of the water and when I pick her up after playing around my living room for a while. I\'ve associated it with annoyance. I don\'t think she likes to be moved from places when she\'s comfortable. The boy doesn\'t make any noises though.
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

my eastern box turtle and my desert box turtle both make the \"hissing\" noise, but only when they go in there shell. im not sure why though.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The hissing sound occurs when they withdraw their heads in their shells because air is being forced out of their lungs to make room for their heads. What you are hearing is the air escaping from their lungs.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

my turtles dont make any noise
Angel

Thanks for all your responses. I found it interesting to know that the hissing sound she makes is actually the release of air from her lungs when she pulls her head into her shell. I thought the clicking sound could be that she needed water but sometimes she makes the same noise in the tank.

Thank you!
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

yea maybe it\'s your turtles way of saying hi .............or something/.
Madge

Angel wrote:
Hello!

I was searching for information on-line about sounds/noises that turtles make (and finding nothing) when I came across this site. I thought it might be a good place to ask about turtle noises. I have a 8-9 year old female red-ear slider named Thea and she makes a couple of different sounds. I am wondering if the turtles living with the posters here make noises and if they know what they mean. One, a sort of inhaling-hissing kind of noise she only makes when startled or really mad (like when I pick her up before she can hide under the front steps) but the other one is the one I am really wondering about. It is usually made when she is exploring and doesn\'t at all sound like she is distressed... it is very hard to explain it... sort of like a clucking sound made with a voice not a tounge... anyway, I would appreciate thoughts! Thanks!
Angel, I was wondering..have you found out what the clicking noise means?
I have a Red-Eared Slider..she clicks too. In fact, I found this site looking for the reason why. In her case, it isn\'t a matter of being dry..she has access to (and uses often!) her tank for swimming. She does like to lie under the lamp..but she clicks sometimes just after coming from the water. It\'s the first time I have heard her make any sound, except the hissing. Very curious! Thanks, - Madge
miss_quoia
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle does this too... i was thinking that maybe it had a respiratory infection or something...perhaps i was wrong.
hurt006
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle doesnt make any noises. I wish it did.
  • Information