safe water?

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

can i use tap water when changing my res tank. the person at petsmart said i could b/c she has some res and now i am confused b/c some people are saying there is chlorine in the water and it will harm them???i cant use bottled water b/c that is way to expensive especially b/c i change the water so often.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If your tap water is chlorinated, you could keep some in containers and let it stand 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate. (Some people just use water from the tap, highly chlorinated water may irritate your turtles` eyes, though). If you do use water right from the tap, you could add a dechlorinator; I add Reptisafe to the tap water to take out chlorine and add other minerals to the water.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

ok thanks.
RESBOY619
Level 1
Level 1

the quickest and almost the cheapest thing to do is but distilled water at the supermarket or drugstore. a gallon is like 99 cents. i used to use this for all my fish when i was too lazy to let water sit out. if it was safe for them it wills urely be safe for the turtles.
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

If you have a reverse osmosis system for your water at home you can use that for the turtle. They usually make about 24 gallons a day if you drain them pretty often. That is what we get from ours and it allows us to store enough to make a full water change for the turtle and make partial water changes in addition between the full changes. I am setting up a new 50 gallon tank for the turtle and using reverse osmosis water and having no problem by tapping the system regularly.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i just use reptisafe like mariza it\'s easier
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Last edited by mariza on Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

Yeah i got reptisafe now and it seems to be working i have had it for about 3 weeks now.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

i use the reptisafe 2 but it runs out way 2 fast. its like a 5\" bottle and its a teaspoon per 5 gallon. i\'m changing to primer,i think thats wat its called.gotta check it out
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

That is why I like the reverse osmosis water. It takes out the chlorine, flourine, and other chemicals but leaves the minerals that are naturally there. I would not think of using distilled water. revesse Osmisis is a system that merely puts the water through three sets of charcoal filters and then a filter system that works like a kidney and filters out the impurities and leaves the good stuff. That way I don\'t have to put any chemicals of any kind in the water.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Rfox, is the reverse osmosis system just for the tank, or is it part of the plumbing system in your house? If it`s just for the tank, where do you get them and how much is one?
rfox
Level 3
Level 3

It is an add on for the drinking water system in the house. Ours came from Culligan but they are available on the open market at Home Depot, Lowes, Sutherlands and the like. The connect to the water line go through the filter system and into a gathering tank, there is a separate outlet from the rest of the plumbing. The waste generated by the system goes to the house drain system. Mariza i will try to put a drawing up when I get the sitew finished.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thanks.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

hey sue it\'s called prime and you can get it at skiptons you kno near the mccdonalds anyway it is better and lasts longer plus it removes more stuff than reptisafe.
wonka

Hello!

The thing about water and water turtles is this:

a.) Your water turtle wants more water than you have room for,

and

b.) If you\'ve satisfied \"a.\", then the issue of \"safe water\" is really not that tough. You will have more water than you can feasably change on a regular basis and the issue will no longer be \"safe\" water but \"maintained\" water.

Our turtle, Lucy, is in a 50 gallon tank, FULL OF WATER, with an island attatched to the side so she can get out and rest. (She doesn\'t much, though, like I said, you just can\'t have enough water for them.)

After a month or so, 3 gallons or so evaporate. So we just replace it with 3 gallons of tap water -- because frankly, 3 gallons of chlorinated tap water is nothing when dilluted into the other 47 gallons of stable water. Like rain in a lake.

So you only have to let that 50 gallons sit a few days before you let the turtle in it, and after that, it\'s not really a problem.

The problem is maintaining the water. Get ready to spend a few dollars because the key to giving them all the water they want, is it takes a lot of filter power to keep them nice and clean. Turtles have to drink the water they live in, so don\'t go lean on filter systems. Lucy has TWO 60-gallon filters running non-stop in that 50 gallon tank. Honestly, I don\'t think it\'s enough. Even with that much current, I still have to stir up the gravel about once a month to get all the funk out of it.

Of course, it\'s worth it! Nobody here has just a casual interest in pet turtles, so I know everyone will understand going through what we do for the little boogers!
  • Information