when is my turt rdy to eat fish?

Discussions about turtles.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

my red ear sliders only 1 3/4 inches what is a good size to start feeding him fish b/c im afraid shes not getting enough nutition in her diet. if i can feed her fish now what would be a good kind of fish? rosy reds?

mike
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Well she can have fis at any age. When they are small you should try guppies. she might not like it though.my matured RES doesnt but my other 3 painter love them. just put them in the tank and let here play with them and if she wants to she can have the fish for eating.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I think turts are born ready to eat fish. Remember what they\'re like in the wild, that\'s what they sustain themselves with.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

my turtle got bored of trying to catch the fish so i slowed it down for him/her and they like ate it whole i dont know if that is good but i asked the host of this site and she said my turt should be fine. the funny thing is my turt didnt even try to chew it it swallowed it completely whole like a snake would. and it was a big guppie.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I knew that he would be okay. Turtles do that in the wild, why wouldn\'t they do that in captivity.
rahul
Level 2
Level 2

RES tend to be more carnivorous when they are hatchlings...as they age they get more towards the herbivorous side..but they still like an occasional fish or 10
kamby
Level 2
Level 2

my turtles eat everything...fish...crickets...anoles, although they havent ate the frog or toad yet.
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

lol i bought real feeder fish and both turtles had one in there stumachs within a minute. than my turtle caught the bigges one and ripped its tail off than it was still alive so it ate its head than the middle. lol sry for the details i had to share it.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

If you`re worried about nutrition, you won`t find any abundance of it in fish (especially goldfish). Pellets like Reptomin, ZooMed`s, etc. offer more balanced nutrition for turtles, especially young ones. Fish should be given occasionally, not as a staple (and they`re not even necessary).
m1key72988
Level 3
Level 3

i know i bought the rep cal but how should i use it i only got fish for my turles yesterday adn there all gone there pigs. i think i mihgt give them fish 1 time a month just for a treat. i bought crickets for them and black ands broke into there cage and freed them all so now i got no crickets but i got carrots and grapes to feed them and i got the ubv bulb along wil reptisafe and cuttle bone so i htink there all set for a while.
  • Information