H E L P !!!!!!!

Discussions about turtles.
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

my aquatic turtle is an african sideneck and i plan on upgrading the tank from a 20 long to a 50 long in a few months. would it be possible for me to get one or two more aquatic turtles (red ear slider or painted) and put them in with the sideneck (franklin). also would the diffrent species mate. if they do what would the turtles look like? what would the eggs look like?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Hi. they could be in the same tank but they cant mate since theyare different species. sry.good luck.bye.
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

No problem.good luck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`ve read it`s a bad idea to put turtles of different species together, especially if they are originally from different continents (African side-neck vs. RES and painteds from North America). I wouldn`t house them together (the RES and painted are a different story).
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

thanx! i\'ll look into that
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You shouldn`t put turtles from different regions/continents together because they have different needs for housing, food, lighting, temperatures, etc. A turtle from one region may also carry pathogens that a turtle from a different region may have no immunity to. One of them (or both) may get sick.
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

they had the sideneck in with a red ear slider in the adoption room. i bought every thing i needed for the res and when i went to adopt the res they told me someone just got about an hour ago. then they told me i could still get the sideneck and they live in the same type of habbitat.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Is the \"adoption room\" at a pet store? If so, I would take what they say with a grain of salt. The recommendation not to put different species from different continents/regions is mentioned on more than one site on the web. At http://centralpets.com/pages/critterpag ... 5974.shtml it says African Sidenecks should be kept alone unless attempting to breed them (they won`t breed with res). Another site says they can be agressive toward other turtles and should not be housed with other species. RES can also get aggressive too, especially if there`s not enough space. Your decision. (I suspect you may be letting yourself in for problems down the road, though.)
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

thanx. i dont think i will put them in togethor.
  • Information