Rescued Red Slider

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
the_new1

I found a turtle in the street yesterday. I took it to my local petstore and it turns out that its a red slider. I\'m keeping him in a big rubbermaid thats not very deep for the time-being. We\'re trying to see if he has an owner-so we don\'t know if we\'ll be keeping him or not. This site has been great-lots of stuff to learn. How deep should the water be? Should he be in water at all times? I don\'t have a lot of equipment to work with right now but any advice would be great. THANX!
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

Hey. the turtle should haveatleast enough water to cover is shell ut can be more as long a they have a place to go on land such as dirt or a rock.if your onl having it for like a week you dont need this much just water so it can stand. plan on keepng it then you need much more.if s i would be glad to help.:D
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The water should be at least as deep as the turtle`s shell is wide so he can right himself if he tips over. RES are aquatic and are strong swimmers, but they do need an easily accessible basking area so they can get out and dry themselves off. An inverted flower pot with a flat rock on top... there are many options. Stay away from dirt and gravel.

If you can`t find the owner (I suspect he is unwanted) and you can give him a good home, for basics you will need a good-sized container (Rubbermaid is fine--think 10 gallons of container per inch of shell), a submersible water heater to keep the temp. at 76-80 degrees, A UVB light for his shell, a basking light for warmth, basking area at 85-90 degrees F, and unless you plan to do frequent water changes, a filter. Pellets like Reptomin are a good staple, but a variety of food is best. They are great pets. Good luck.
the_new1

You guys are cool! Thanx a million for the info. I\'ve rigged a temporary lamp in a corner of the rubbermaid so he\'ll be somewhat comfortable. Oh, and hes not eating yet-but I guess thats to be expected (from what I gather). Hopefully it all turns out for the best. Thanks again! :)
deesygirl

Just out of curiosity, how big is the turtle?

That is great he/she has found a safe place and possibly a new home.?.? :) Good luck.

Christy
the_new1

The turtle is approx. 4in. long (shell length). And pretty strong :)

G\'night everyone!

Olivia
  • Information