somthing wrong with RES

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
chickycris

I have a RES and I think something is wrong with it. By the way how can I tell if its a male or female? Someone said its a male because of the flat shell on its bottom. My daughter named the turtle Franklin, yes after the kids show Franklin. Franklin just sits on the rocks, he never used to . He was always swimming around and everything. He isn\'t eating anything either, thats not like him because he always had a very hearty appitite. What could be wrong with him?
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

WEll, the females are larger and have long fat tails. they also haveshort finge nails. males nails are like ____ and females like__.i dont no wats rong with it. maybe its just not in in the swimming mood or mayb he is sick. if i find n ething out i\'ll post it. good luck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

How long have you had your turtle? At around 4 inches if the the tail is big and broad with the anal vent closer to the tip and the front claws are long and spiky, your turtle is a male. If the tail is relatively small with the anal vent closer to the shell and the front claws aren`t noticeably longer, your turtle is a female. Over time females will be larger and their plastrons will be more concaved than males, which are flatter.

Does your turtle have any other symptoms besides not eating? How are his eyes? Any loud breathing, gaping(yawning), mucus around the nose, mouth? Is he still active and swimming alright (not tilted to one side)? What are his water and basking area temps.?
chickycris

his symptoms are, he\'s not eating, he\'s not swimming and he is sticking his neck and head out more than usual, if that makes sense. The water temp is between 75 & 78 don\'t know what the basking temp is maybe a degree warmer.We just got a new light could it be that? Thanks
chickycris

sorry, I\'ve had the turtle for about 4+ years. no mucus around mouth or nose and breathing is fine.

Thanks
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I don`t think it`s the new light. If he`s sticking his head and neck out more often, he could be starting to have trouble breathing. Combined with his inactivity and lack of appetite, it could be the start of a respiratory infection. I would increase his water temp. (75 is too cool for a sick turtle) to 80 degrees F. At a degree or so warmer (79 degrees?) than your water temp., the basking area is way too cool. Normally, it should be 85-90 degrees F. Since your turtle appears to be sick, have it toward the end of that range (90 degrees F). The warmth boosts the immune system and helps them fight infection. If he doesn`t seem to improve with the warmer temps., I`d take him to a vet.
  • Information