I am worried about my RES\'s shedding

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
scootsity5

I know that turtle\'s are supposed to shed and the shedding on the bottom of the turtle\'s shell really doesn\'t concern me because he is maintaining his color and is just loosing a layer or two of his shell but, on the back of his shell he has some loose pieces that scare me. From under these a red, blood-like fluid coming from around them. I removed him from the water and changed it with chlorine-free bottled water. He is in a tank with a painted turtle and they are fed lettuce and tubifex daily. I also have a bio-wheel cleaning the water. If it makes any difference, he lost two legs in a fight a long time ago when he was in a community turtle tank, he is now in a more peaceful environment. The fight was a very long time ago and he has convalesced fully.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Thost bloody(?)areas sound like a really bad infection. I would take him to a vet ASAP. www.arav.org click on members, U.S., then state to find one near you if you don`t have one). I would separate him from the other one and keep him out of the water, putting him in to hydrate and feed him. The water could make the infection worse and if contagious (shell rot) could spread to your other turtle.

If you`re only feeding them tubifex worms and lettuce, that`s a really unbalanced diet with little nutrition. Do they have proper lighting and a basking area?
scootsity5

they have a lot of well lit basking area. We also feed them some other things occasionally but what do you feel we should be feeding them?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It`s nice that the basking area is well lit, but do they have a UVB light (critical for the shell) as well as the basking light (or is it a mercury vapor UVB/UVA light)? How often do you change the water (just wondering if that could be contributing to the shell problem)?

A varied diet is the best, but I would make a pellet like Reptomin, Zoo-Meds, Nutrafin a staple (I have all three and vary them) and feed other foods (worms, shrimp, boiled white chicken meat, other high-protein foods occasionally). Veggies are good--thinly sliced carrots, red-leaf/romaine lettuce (no iceberg--no nutrition), dandelions, squash, red bell peppers, for example. No spinach, broccoli or cabbage. Also aquatic plants like anachris and duckweed. And I would keep cuttle bone (the stuff for birds) in the tank (take off the hard backing, break it into pieces and let some float in the tank)--good as a calcium supplement your turtles can eat when they want to.

If your turtle`s shell is bleeding, though, I would see a herp vet.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Scootcity, those red areas are most likely shell-rot. At the stage you described, you should take him to a vet for treatment--see http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/shellrot.html For a vet, if you don`t have one try www.arav.org --click on members, then U.S. (or other), then state (or country). Good luck.
  • Information