Feeding fish?

Discussions about turtles.
Olivia

I have a yellow-bellied slider that is about 2 inches long. He lives in a 55 gallon long tank with a beach, 2 hang on the back filters (for now), rocks to push around, and UVB bulb. I just bought him a couple of feeder fish to eat and though he will chase them around he either can not or will not catch them and eat them. Should I try to hurt the fish somehow so he can catch them or am I expecting too much from him? He likes crickets and his turtle pellets. Any advice would be welcome.

Olivia and Semi-speedy the turtle
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, I would suggest feeder fish, for two reasons, 1: he gets live food that has a lot of vitamins and minerals, 2: he doesn\'t get bored, and can chace them around. You don\'t have to injure them before you put them in. He\'ll be able to catch them, and if he doesn\'t, he\'ll learn. Good Luck!
Willie
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

yes. feeder fish can lots of fun for the turtle and for you to watch.i just today gave my 4 turts guppies and they loved it.the played with them for a few minutes then it was dinner time. its also very healthy and has a lot of fiber for the turts.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Some turtles don`t care for live fish (some not at first, some never). I`ve heard of people complaining that they`ve bought their turtles fish only to have them become pets. If you give your turtle live fish, minnows and guppies are better than goldfish (too fatty and more likely to have parasites).
Olivia

Thanks everyone,

These little fish are guppies and though semi loves to chase them I think they are just too fast for him. I guess he will either eventually catch them or I have guppies in the tank as well. Maybe it also has to do with the tank being so large compared to semi\'s size (for now at least). I will continue with the pellets and crickets for now.

Olivia
  • Information