red ear slider size?

Discussions about turtles.
LATK

hi. i\'m new... and want to buy a red ear slider hatchling. if it\'s a hatchling, what size of pond do you recommend?

how big do they get and how long do they live? i heard somewhere that turtles live very long and some folks have turtles that out live them.

also, would you need a filter if you change the water several times a week?

thank you for your replies.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

You probably won\'t find any RES babies in a pet store. You might get lucky if you find one at a slea market, or if you go to a big city, (L.A., New York, Chicago, Miami, ext.) or any where near big cities you could probably find one there being sold by a vendor. RES life span is in the 20 year range, give or take a couple years. For sure you need a filter, no matter how many times you clean the tank a week, turtles are very messy animals. Good Luck!
Willie
cajohnson
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, I just got 6 res hatchlings today from www.artsofnature.com they are so cute, i have them in a 20 gallon for now,Willie says I will need a much bigger one by next year.I am planning on putting them outside.we have a turtle pond/land area fenced in and covered for them.I would really recommend checking Arts Of Nature
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

u cant buy turtles under 4\" it illegal to sell so u could check places that would sell illegal turtles or just ask a turtle breeder. i am breeding turtles with my friends. they can live for a really long time over 30 years. and can get up to about 8\".gooooood luck.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Females can get 10-12 inches (think dinner plate size), males are somewhat smaller, 8-10 inches.
  • Information