BASKING LAMPS

Discussions about turtles.
TFF01KV
Level 2
Level 2

I HAVE ONE 100 WATT DAY GLOW BULB FOR BASKING DURING THE DAY. WHAT OTHER LAMPS ARE NEEDED TO KEEP MY TURTLE HEALTHY?
goggles
Level 1
Level 1

a uvb bulb is necessary, otherwise i\'m pretty sure it\'ll cause vitamin d deficiency. I just have a 20 inch fluorescent fixture (from a 10g aquarium) with a reptile (uvb 7%) bulb i bought at a pet store... the bulb was a little pricy at $15, but no more than I\'d normally spend on an aquarium bulb.

sometimes, the basking light is not enough. the uv light is very important, but there must be a heating bulb as well. sometimes, basking lights do exactly that, but some cheat and don\'t. make sure you have a light that provides heat as well as uv. mine cost me 45 bucks.
TFF01KV
Level 2
Level 2

ok, so i need a uv light too. but do i keep them both on at the same time? and what about the black day glow bulb do i need that also?
thanx so much for the help!
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

I bought a lid from my local pet store for $65.It holds 3 differ lights:UV(flouresent),incadesant daybulb, and the night bulb..I leave the UV and the day bulb on together for at least 12 hrs. during the day and when I go to bed I shut them off and put the night bulb on.. My turts seem very happy with it so Iguess it\'s ok.Hope that helps.
Heather
Level 3
Level 3

ESU Reptile makes the lid and it comes in different sizes.I have a 29 gallon tank and I have the 30\" lid on mine.It sets on top of a heat resistent wire mesh lid(that covers the whole top of the tank).Of course th bulbs are not included W/it but they do tell you which ones to buy.Good Luck!!
  • Information