Tank Size and mating

Discussions about turtles.
MauriceandErin
Level 1
Level 1

Hey guys,
Back again for more questions,
We were wondering what a good tank size would be for 2 turtles, African Sidenecks.
We were thinking about getting both a male and a female at the same time to see if they would mate, any tips about these topics would be appreciated.
Thank you
femmfaerie
Level 1
Level 1

my turtles are in a 55 gallon and they are huge, i can no longer pick them up with one hand..they are about the size of an adult head... I hear you have to let your turtles hybernate before they will mate...can someone confirm this for me? My turtles did hybernate 1.5 years ago - not intentionally (dont ask) and then they began to mate. Faeria laid 7 eggs last June, but they were not fertile, then she laid more eggs this past June, again not fertile. I do not think they are mature (old) enought to reproduce just yet. They are five years old.
Getting a boy and a girl/ How will you know there sexes? Just wondering, my vet even had trouble determining the sex of my two.

You will have to have an area where your female can come out to lay her eggs, possibly in dirt. I took the eggs out of my tank so the turtles - being not so graceful - would not smash them and placed them in dirt with a heat lamp. remember: Do not turn over the eggs and keep them moist!

Guess that is it...any one else?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

A very easy way to determine the sex of two turtles is to look as their fron t claws. You need two turtles to compare, it\'s almost impossible to figure out the sex this way with only 1 turtle. Females have dark, short claws. Males have dark and at the end lighter color claws and they are very long. If you have a male and a female in each hand, and your comapring to see which has the bigger claws, it would be extremely eseasy to tell!! Turtles become sexually mature when their carpace (upper shell) is 5 inches long, or when the turtle is 3 years old, which ever comes first. A 75 gallon long would be fine, but remember, bigger the better, esspecially if your going to have them mate. Good Luck!
Willie
TurtleSue13
Level 3
Level 3

you should wait about a year be4 mating. and the tank should be about a 20 or 30 gallon. goooooood luck!
  • Information