how to care for two year old turtle

Post any questions you have about a turtle indoor setup here. Or if you have a link to your indoor setup picture we would love to see it.

Hi,
I\'m wondering if anyone can help me with my turtle someone just gave me.
The turtle is approx. two years old(red slider) and has been in a small tuberware container. She has not had any lights on her, no room to swim or really bask. I am going to buy the tank, lighting etc. but how do I know if she is ill from being in such a small environment with no lighting.
I do know the previous owner changed the water often and fed the turtle twice a day with turtle sticks.
She looks ok. but I am no expert.
How long do they live?
Thank\'s for any advice.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

If she is soffering from the lack of lighting she would be breathing from her mouth, coughing, sneezing, shell is soft, ext. You need UVB light on her ASAP. Untill you get the lights take her outside in the sunlight for at least an hour a day so she can get the rays she needs. Instead of feeding her just sticks, find dome earth worms, go to the pet shop and but crickets, meal worms, and krill or shrimp. You\'ll ned a powerful filter, a submesibible heater, UVB light, Basking light, viatmin supplement, and possibly feeder fish. All this stuff could cost well over $100. But its worth it for what the turtle gives back to you. Turtles will reach any where from 15 years to 100 years depending on the species. RES usually stay in the 20 year range. You\'ll need at least a 20 gallon tank for now, but when your turtle is full grown you\'ll probably need a 75 gallon. So start saving your money now..... :)
Willie
  • Information