CREAM?

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

If the shell is kinda rotting, you can barely tell then is there some kind of cream or something that you can put on their shell? Please help....they are just babies
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

yes! there is, mine is called turtle vita shell. it is made by tetra. you should be able to find it or some other kind of shell and skin conditioner at a pet store or on the internet. these also might be signs of shell rot take your turtle to a vet as soon as possible to stop it from being fatal.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Does your turtle\'s shell ahve sores or holes in it? If so, remove your turtle out of the water comletely. Keep it in a warm, dry place. Twice a day, soak your turtle in water to keep them hydrated. Several times a day, sponge your turtle\'s shell in Betadine which you can buy at pet stores. Sponge them especaislly after water soakings. To prevent it from happening again, amke sure your turtles diet includes calcium and vitamin D3. You can buy a powder viatamin supplemnt top sprinkle over your turtles food. Good Luck!
Willie
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Nope...mine has no holes in it.... how much would vita shell cost?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Don`t use Vitashell for shellrot or any other shell problem! Don`t even use it to make a turtle`s shell look \"pretty.\" You should not use anything that coats the turtle`s shell--it`s bad for the shell and prevents a turtle from thermoregulating properly. Take a look at what a dissatifed user claims has been its effect on her turtle: http://www.chem.Isu.edu/WWW_Zinn/bz/cupcake.html (If for some reason it doesn`t work, do a search on Yahoo under Vitashell and click on the link \"Cupcake.\")

If your turtle has shellrot and it`s a mild case, treat it for shellrot www.anapsid.org/shellrot.html If it`s severe, take it to a qualified herp vet.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, the link to the Vitashell pictures should be http://www.chem.lsu.edu/WWW_Zinn/bz/cupcake.html
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

whew!! I\'m glad I didn\'t use vita shell allthough nobody knows if that is what to cupcake but there was another person who used vita shell on their youngling.....http://www.chem.lsu.edu/WWW_Zinn/album/ ... colate.htm it loox pretty bad.. is there any other cream that has no bad history in it?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

It would be nice and easy to just put a cream on whatever your turtle has to make it go away, but you don`t want to put cream on shell rot or even fungus. Cream will coat the shell and not allow air to get at the diseased area(s). Air is the enemy of shell rot, and that`s why it`s important that turtles get out of the water and bask under proper lighting. Look at the link I mentioned above for shell rot. Or, try http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/shellrot.html for a home treatment for mild cases. If the shell rot is severe, take your turtle to a qualified herp vet for treatment.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Goshiez Mariza, you\'re like always there and everything but I found out that my turtles shell is just peeling...any ways thanx for all your help dear ;-)
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Well, that must be a relief. :) Just let nature take it`s course then.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks for your posts people,

I never knew that Vitashell was bad for turtles. My RES turts have never been sick (thankfully) but I once bought them a little can of \"cream conditioner\" because I thought they might need some lotion for their peeling skins and scutes, I think it was even of the Vitashell brand name, and I was applying it to their shells, but stopped b/c it made the water too greasy. Now that I know that it\'s horrible :(, I\'ll DEFINITELY not buy more.

Thanks again :)
  • Information