turtle health questions

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
BHRPmy4turtles
Level 1
Level 1

i have 2 baby painted turtles (pebbles and ruggles) that i caught in the wild and they have really soft shells.is this soft shell disease? also i have a red eared slider (bear) and is nails r getting really big. should i trim them?
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Baby turtles have soft shells their first year or two. It\'s appsolutly normal. When your two turtles mature the shells will harden. Make sure that they are getting UVB rays, like from a light bulb, and getting vitamin suplemnts made especially for reptiles. As for the long claws, bear is probably a male and males tend to have long calws. You can clip the nail if you want to. Take a cat or dog clippers and clip the very tip of the nails. DO NOT GET ANY MORE THEN THE VERY TIP. (half centimeter) Because there is a vain the the nail, if you cut too much, the vain will burst and your turtle will probably bleed to death. Good luck!
Willie
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I wouldn\'t recommend clipping the nails precisely for that reason, Willie. I think it\'s best to leave that to the pros. If you want the nails clipped, go see a vet.
Emmiez
Level 2
Level 2

i have heard that u only clip the clear part but i wont recommend it unless ur turtle lets u
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Female turtles have shorter, darker claws because the vain runs all the way to the tip, the dark are is were the vain is. Males have longer, dark and then a loittle ways down the nail, it get white. This is because the vain runs only about halfway down the claw. If you cut anywhere near the dark spot, you\'ll hit the vain and your turtle has a very great chance of bleeding to death. That\'s why you should only clip male\'s claws, becasue the vain doesn\'t run all the way to the tip. You can clip the tip of the white part, but only the tip and only if the claw has a white area. To calm your turtle you can drap a towl on his head and eyes so he doesn\'t feel threatened by the clippers. Yes, i agree, if you don\'t feel comfortable with clipping, have the vet do it, or just leave them, because long claws are natural for males.
Willie
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

The long nails are one of the sex characteristics of males and should be left as is.
  • Information