Can someone help? Signs of SoftShell Disease!

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Tori

I acquired some baby (1 1/2 inches max) RES when on vacation in L.A. I got them home and they seemed fine. Now all of a sudden it seems as if they are developing pale red markings on their underbelly and the shells seem a BIT pliant. I noticed this today whenchanging my tank water. Please help!!!
Tori
Mom to
Flippy, Squirt and JennyGirl
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Metabolic bone disease (MBD)/ soft shell disease doesn`t happen \"all of a sudden.\" Hatchlings` shells don`t harden until they`re about a year and prior to that age their shells do have a little give to them. That said, what is your turtles` set-up like? Do they have an easily accessible basking area big enough for all of them with a UVB light (very important for the health of their shells) and a basking light to keep the basking area air temp. 85-90 degrees F? Are they getting enough calcium in their diet?

The red markings--do you mean the lines between the scutes are turning pink? If so, a faint pink could possibly be growth, but could also be a sign of septecemia. Are your turtles eating well and active?

For some info on MBD/soft shell disease, try http://www.turtlepuddle.org/health/mbd.html
HTH.
  • Information