Help please...

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle seems that half of his body floats in the water. Well his left side...some one had the same problem and the answer was that their turtle had respitory infection. I can\'t find a vet that will do anything with turtles. Any information on how I could find a vet in garland...
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

i dont lve in garland and wouldnt kno n e vets bu if it i a respitory problem u should make sure the water is about 80 degree\'s and that u dont take her out of the temp. the temp. change is wat causes it and will probably solve it good luck with finding vet.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

The key to preventing, or helping cure respatory infections is warmth. raise your turtles temp to 82 degrees F. Good Luck!
Willie
Emmiez
Level 2
Level 2

my turtle is the same. shes only two weeks old. and shes floating like that too. i took her to a vet and they didnt do nothing for her. so all im doing is keeping the container or tank covered. i hope ur turtle fights off the infections by itself
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

My turtle is only 4 wks old and umm my tank doesn\'t have a container, it\'s one of those glass tanks that are medium sized..... will that be a problem...
Emmiez
Level 2
Level 2

just make sure u keep the tank covered so theres no breezes. thats why it is not recommended to use a water heater because that causes infections. because the water may be warm but when ur turtle comes up for air the air is cool and those temp changes cause ur turle to worsen.. my baby RES has recovered from the lopsided swimming. but u will notice that ur turtle is always basking, floating, bubbling, and sneezing. theres nothing u can do really without a vet except to keep the temp around 80F. good luck!
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

ummm my tank doesn\'t have a cover thingy because it was a glass tank.....any help for me
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Having a water heater does NOT contribute to respiratory infections; it`s the opposite--not having a water heater if the water is too cool will and therefore a water heater would definitely be recommended. Babies are sensitive and need warmth--water 80-82 degrees F (and if sick 82 degrees is better). The air should be at least as warm as the water (and the basking area even warmer). If you the room temp. is too cool, you need a heat source for the air. (In the winter when the air is really cold, I have a red heat lamp on 24/7 to keep the air temp. up.) If your tank doesn`t have a cover, be creative and make one--just be sure it doesn`t screen out or keep your turtle from getting rays from the UVB lamp.

I haven`t had to do this, but I have read that some people have had success with \"dry docking\" their turtles to help them fight respiratory infections in earlier stages. You put your turtle on a towel in a box and cover half of the box with another towel so your turtle can have some shade if it needs it. No drafts or breezes. Put a basking lamp or even a desk lamp over the box and keep the temp. at 82-85 degrees F. The warmth boosts the immune system and helps the turtle fight the infection. Take the turtle out for 2 one-hour soaks in warm water (82 degrees F) daily to prevent dehydration (like every 11 hours). Add a multi-vitamin liquid supplement to the water (Poly-Vi-Sol MultiVitamin Supplement Drops (for infants and toddlers) by Mead and Johnson (available at Walmart) is OK for this purpose. You can also put turtle food in the water so your turtle can eat if it wants to. If your turtle is really small/young check it periodically during the time the turtle is out of the water to make sure it`s not getting dehydrated.

You can find a variation of the above and some other information on respiratory infections at http://petturtle.htmlplanet.com/turtlea ... ction.html

Emmiez wrote:
thats why it is not recommended to use a water heater because that causes infections. because the water may be warm but when ur turtle comes up for air the air is cool and those temp changes cause ur turle to worsen..
if your tank was setup right, the air outside of the water should be warmer than the water itself. especially if you are using basking lamps to heat the water. think about it. if your basking lamps are up around 90+ degrees and your water is 82 degrees... there is no way that the air is less than 82.
Emmiez
Level 2
Level 2

i talked to a vet and she told me that since my res is only 3 weeks old not to do the towel and dry box thing cos it causes more stress.. thats where i got the \"dont use a heater thing\"..so im not sure
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

I`m sorry, but I fail to see the connection...What does the towel and dry box have to do with a water heater?
  • Information