Im new to turtles need help

Discussions about turtles.
nick_wilson_123

First off i would like to know what kind of turtle i have. i think its a red ear slider but im not sure its a little over 2 inches long it has the red ear like things on it but im still not to sure. Next So what size tank do i need what kind of equipment (filter and stuff) Someone my mom know got this turtle for there kids but they wouldnt take care of it so they gve it to us. so know i hope to take of it a bit better. i owuld like to know what all i need so i can go shopping soon. right now its in a tupperware contaner that the people had it in and i know that this isnt right so please help
nick_wilson_123

oh by the way i know that some tupperware containers are acceptable but this one isnt even half a gallon
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

right now i would recomend at least a 20 gallon long. with my turtle i have a small brick under neath a heat lamp (nothing special, they only need a 60 wat heat lamp) the water is about 4-6 inches deep. my filter is called a shark and it was designed for turtles because of how messy they can be. the only other thing you need is gravel for the bottom and preferably a scrren lid, oh yeah, and some food (small gold fish, reptile sticks, fruit, etc.).
  • Information