RES listing to one side

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
Shelby
Level 1
Level 1

What is wrong with my baby RES? He won\'t eat and when he\'s in the water his left side is much higher than his right, he\'s almost sideways in the water. He\'s also not very active, mostly he sits in his waterfall or sleeps.This all started after the pump broke in his bathtub outside so he\'s had to stay inside for two weeks. I gave him a grasshopper the other day and he ate that but he won\'t touch his sticks or romaine. I\'m mostly worried about his listing. Anybody have any suggestions?
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Listing to one side is a sign of respiratory infection, along with excessive gaping (yawning), wheezing when breathing, mucus/bubbling from the nose or mouth. Your turtle needs a herp vet for antibiotics. What is the water temp. and basking area temp.? (If your turtle is a hatchling/baby and sick, water temp. should be around 82-85 degrees F, basking area a little over 90. Take your turtle to a herp vet for treatment. They can go downhill very quickly. If you don`t know where to go, try www.arav.org, click on members and then state to find one near to you.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

it may have something to do with the change in temperaur or environment. u need a heat lamp about 80 dedgrees and a UV lamp and place for basking. good luck
Shelby
Level 1
Level 1

Since the nearest herpvet is a 2 hour drive from where I live I decided to wait and see if Shelby would get better on his own. I put 40W bulbs in the lid and got a bigger basking lamp. He now swims level and eats like a pig! These are good signs and I hope he will be OK.

sbturtlegrlz6 wrote:
it may have something to do with the change in temperaur or environment. u need a heat lamp about 80 dedgrees and a UV lamp and place for basking. good luck
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

You were very lucky. Often when a turtle gets to the point you described, only antibiotics from a vet will rid him of the infection. Glad to hear he recovered. Don`t let the temps get too cold. Good luck.
  • Information