Two Males Always Fighting

Discussions about turtles.
itsmenick
Level 1
Level 1

I am an owner of now two Eastern Painted males (just found one in middle of street, it escaped a few weeks ago and its still alive!). I am thinking that it wanted to escape from the pond because the other male is always snapping at him and pushing him around. I feed them both at the same time, away from each other, so its not about food. And the pond is 5000 gallons, its HUGE, so its not about the space either. Can anyone tell me why they keep fighting and would this make one male want to leave, or will this stop? What should I do??? I read these turtles were social.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Turtles are not \"social,\" some species are just more tolerant of other turtles than others. Sounds like one is trying to show the other who`s boss. Is there a big difference in their sizes? Are there places in the pond to break up their line of vision so they don`t see each other all the time and so the one can hide and bask on his own?
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

i am not sure if this is true but i read if you have a turtle alone for a long time (years) they become very teritorial and don\'t like other turtles in \"their\" pond or aquarium or whatever they are living in.
itsmenick
Level 1
Level 1

Both of these turtles grew up together at a turtle farm in Florida and were shiped to me in Oregon. Same size and everything, for all I know they are brothers. They have multiple basking spots, its just when they come near each other they snap at each other, usually one just turns and swims away. Will they eventually decide who is boss and stop fighting?
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

i am not sure if they will decide on a \"boss\" or if they will keep fighting. i think you should talk to a local pet store or vet.
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Some turtle get along fine when they`re young and then change as they get older; if they`re in a confined space like a tank (not your situation, I know) and the aggression becomes too much, they have to be separated. Is the one getting picked on able to eat enough? http://www.turtlecare.net/fight.htm has a little info on the subject.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

The only way you can get two turtles, esspecially males, to not bite or be aggressive towads eachother is to raise them from right when they hatch together. If the aggrsion continues, sepparate them completely, but if it\'s doesn\'t continue make sure that they get feed enough food so that there is no fish over that, and so that they aren\'t eating next to eachother. You can buy aquatic plants at your local petstore to plant in the pond. Make sure that they don\'t have to get out of the water by eachother or bassically be near eachother. Put lots of feeder fish the the pond so that the aggresive male is occupied. Good Luck!
Willie
  • Information