African Side Necks

Here you can direct all your questions about turtle breeding and what to do about those eggs you found that your turtle laid.
MauriceandErin
Level 1
Level 1

Hey y\'all,
Just a few questions. We are new with the whole turtle thing and wanted to get involved with a message board to help us out before we get an African Side Neck, we really liked the one we saw in the pet store and are strongly thinking about raising one.
Questions that we had was...how is your african side necks temperment wise, are they active turtles, how big do they get (the guy told us up to a foot), can you pick them up every once in awhile so they get to know the owners, and another thing we were wondering is, I heard that with tortises and turtles you can look at the under side of their shell and determine what sex they are by if their shell concaves(this meaning its a male) and if it isn\'t concaved it\'s probably a female) if anyone out there is reading this can you let me know if you have heard this as well.
Any hints and or opinons would be greatly appreciated seeing that we haven\'t really had much luck finding any information about these African Side Necks.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

hey my name is manda here is some info you will need good luck =)

Animal Description:
The African Side Necked Turtle often makes an interesting pet and is quite hardy.

In the wild, African Side Necked Turtles usually inhabit shallow ponds or streams with muddy bottoms. This way, they can burrow into the mud and aestivate if conditions become too hot or cold for them to tolerate. They tend to be good swimmers. When handling your African Side Necked Turtle, you should be sure that your turtle is aware of you before you pick it up. Because their necks are often carried to one side, movement on the other side of the turtle\'s body may frighten it and cause it to snap. Many become quite handleable in captivity, however.

At maturity, many African Side Necked Turtles often reach 8 inches in length. Usually, the carapace is slightly domed, and is dark in color, often black. The bottom shell, or plastron, is usually yellow with a dark edge, though the colors of the plastrons may vary from turtle to turtle. Most African Side Necked Turtles have brown colored heads with black or gray spots or dappling. The jaws are usually yellow or tan in color. Their long necks are pulled in to one side, rather than backward into the turtle\'s shell, and the front of the carapace is hinged.

African Side Necked Turtles are found in eastern Africa below the Sahara and much of Madagascar. They are fairly common in captivity.

Specific Care Information: Relative Care Ease: Average
In captivity, African Side Necked Turtles should be allowed a tank with enough water for them to swim in, in addition to a land area where they can bask. As a general rule, the water should have a depth about equal to the turtle\'s width. Many people find that a filter provides great help in maintaining a good water quality. Water temperatures should remain between 78 and 82 degree Fahrenheit with a pH of 6 to 6.5. During the day, the temperature of the land area should remain about 83 degrees Fahrenheit with a basking area about 90 degrees. Usually, African Side Necked Turtles are fed invertebrates and a small amount of green vegetation. Commercial turtle chow, low fat dog chow, trout food, apples, or bananas can also be offered from time to time. Because they may not get along well with other animals, even turtles of the same species, African Side Necked Turtles should be kept alone unless you are attempting to breed them.

Breeding and Propagation: Relative Breeding Ease: Uncertain
African Side Necked Turtles seem to breed more readily outdoors and when they have a lot of space.

Do you have anything to add to the information above? If so, please Click Here.
If anything is missing or incorrect please tell us. We want your advice.
This system is designed so that visitors like you can add to and improve the information.

Did you remember to bookmark this page? Press ctrl-D

Don\'t forget to subscribe to our Newsletter. Click Here

Click here to select another animal of the same type (Turtles).

-- PLEASE SUPPORT OUR SPONSORS BY CLICKING THIS BANNER --
MauriceandErin
Level 1
Level 1

Manda,
Thank you for the response it helped and I have been to the same website before. lol.
Take care and any other info would be appreciated. Take care.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

hey guys it\'z great to hear back from you!im still lookin for info on those types of turtles i found some pics and their sooo cute! I think my turtle is pregnant so i cant buy any new types of turtles! but if i could they would be my first choice.i have 6 turtles.3res and 3painted turtles.
MauriceandErin
Level 1
Level 1

Thats too cool, thats mainly the reason why we want to get one is cause the one we saw was so active it just kept going not too mention it was sooo cute, lol.
If we find any other info we will try and relay it to you on the board.
Take Care and thank you for replying back to us.
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

your welcome! it was no prob those guys are so cute!!! I\'m turning 13 on friday im really excited lol.reply back wen u get the chance!
MauriceandErin
Level 1
Level 1

hey Manda, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! we know its early but just wanted to tell you now...lol.
You take care and we will hear from ya later.
Are your turtles gonna get you a gift...*wink wink*
chris jones
Level 2
Level 2

i am the proud owner of an african sideneck if you have any questions about the turtle email me at [email protected]
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

thanx guys! oh i think my turtle is havin babies im so excited =)
sbturtlegrlz6
Level 4
Level 4

hi guys im goin on vacation so i wont be on the site for a few weeks ttyl-
  • Information