eating poop

Post your turtle first aid questions here.
pinkiee
Level 1
Level 1

my turtle seems to enjoy his poop.... its really kinda odd...he can have food floating and hed eat his poop instead.....mmm ... cant be nice.... is he a freaky turtle or wat!!!!
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Hey pinkie, how big are your turtles and what kind are they? I might be able to help you as soon as you answer these questions
xoxo Hien
pinkiee
Level 1
Level 1

i have one turtle.. hes a red ear, hes about 7 months old and about the size of my palm now. he eats really well but i absolutly hate him eating poop!
preciousbabihien
Level 2
Level 2

Last edited by preciousbabihien on Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amez
Level 2
Level 2

It is perfectly normal for ur turlte to eat its own poop. It just mistakens it for food. But if you dont like that, u could scoop it up with a net so that their isnt poop for ur res to eat.
shai631
Level 3
Level 3

I agree with Amez. I have two turtles, and one used to that as well. If it bothers you, scoop it out, and I don\'t think it would hurt to add some shrimp/fish to their diets if you\'re just giving them pellets.

I try to give my turts a treat every so often and either buy them about 4-5 goldfish every few months to eat or a can of dried shrimp every few months. (You should see them chomp it down, you\'d think I never fed them at all!)

:)
Emmiez
Level 2
Level 2

turtle eating their business isnt really good for them but it wont hurt. i would scoop it out before they eat it. try giving it baby shrimp.. but pull out the legs if your res is a baby. i feed my baby res (3weeks old) pellets (which she wont eat) Reptile Gammare shrimp, Lettuce, chicken (boiled),and little cubes of apples. they do get really picky tho if there still babies
mariza
Level 4
Level 4

Emmiez, in addition to what you`re giving your turtle, try to get him to eat some pellets--Reptomin Baby, ZooMed`s Aquatic Turtle Food, for example. It would give your turtle a much more balanced diet.
Willie
Level 3
Level 3

Believe it or not, i was at PETCO the other day and in the reptile\'s section, it had a Poop-Breaker-Downer (Thats not the real name for it, i don\'t know the name, but thats basically what that product does, is break down poop.) It\'s made by ReptoMin, it\'s around ten dollars for a medium sized bottle. I guees that if you really don\'t like your turtle eating its poop the 10 bucks is worth it.
Willie
  • Information